Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Sati






Nandalal Bose

Mahatma Gandhi used to call Rabindranath Tagore 'Gurudev'. To Tagore Gandhiji was 'Bapu'. They were great friends and they respected each other. Once their conversation got heated and it disturbed the peaceful atmosphere of Visvabharati, an institution that Tagore had nourished. Some were on Tagore's side, some were on the side of Bapu.

At that time one of the devotees of Gandhiji tried to provoke the painter Nandalal Bose. When he was repeatedly asked, 'On whose side are you?' Nandalal Bose replied I am an artist; if you ask me which color I like most, what can I say? I like all the colors. I like both Gandhiji and Tagore. They are like the two eyes of our country. There is no question of choosing between them."

No comments:

Post a Comment